Bookish (and not so bookish) thoughts (May 11)
‘Bookish (and not so bookish) thoughts’ is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous. It’s just a round-up of bookish and other things from the previous week. Share a link there if you want to participate.
1. Although I only finished a couple of books in the last week, I did a lot more reading than I have in a long time. Although I seem to be enjoying reading again, the downside is knowing what to read next – my TBR pile just grows and grows. Summer is coming, sticio hopefully I’ll get more down time to be able to attack that pile.
2. I participated in a Kairos Blanket Exercise this week, organized by our local Ministerial Association. It’s the second one I’ve participated in and it was a very moving experience. If you ever get the opportunity to participate in one then do so. The more people that are able to do this, the more hope there is for real change to take place.
3. We managed to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last weekend. It’s a great movie and every bit as good as the first one, maybe even with some deeper themes running through it. I had to watch the first one again the night before going to see the second one, as it had been almost three years since I saw it and my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.
4. My latest favourite thing to make is mushrooms that taste like bacon bits. They’re easy to make and addictive. Also, they are probably a lot better for you than bacon, which I haven’t had for over 8 years now anyway.
5. I’m looking for something new to binge watch on Netflix after last week’s disappointing experience with the unavailability of Better Call Saul. I only have two more episodes of Father Brown to watch and I’m caught up again. I’m open to any suggestions anyone might have to offer.
6. We’re trying to work out a visit this summer to our favourite used bookstore, Bearly Used Books, in Parry Sound. When we lived up north we used to pass through there more often, but no it’s a little out of our way. It’s worth visiting and we still have a fair bit of store credit to use up there. You never know what you are going to find and I’ve picked up some great bargains there over the years.
7. I had to buy a new copy of 1984 today as my old, well-read copy is starting to fall apart. Our daughter borrowed it for school, but it was in such poor shape that I thought I’d better get another one.
8. U2’s Joshua Tree Tour 2017 kicks off tomorrow night in Vancouver, which means it’s only 43 days until we get to see them in Toronto. I’m interested to see what their set is tomorrow night and also what the stage set-up looks like.